July 26-November 7, 1956

July 26, 1956 Ysalamir Hassan

Nasser has just nationalized the Suez Canal. He must be really serious about his goal for Pan-Arabism. With Foreign access to the canal banned, we might finally get that economic reform Nasser had promised us. With all the economic trouble Egypt has faced, it must be a relief that Egypt will have a stable economy.


September 18, 1956

Thank to Egypt’s improved educational system I was able to joined the Suez Canal Authority. After seeing the economic growth over the past month, I hope to make a strong income on this job. All I have to do is regulate goods that come in and out of the Suez Canal. Soon I will live the life of the rich.


October 30, 1956

There was panic in the SCA headquarters. News spread that Israel had invaded Egypt and captured the entire Sinai Peninsula. Their intentions are probably related the closing of the Suez Canal. The government said that Cairo and Ismailia; location of SCA head quarters, have the highest risk of invasion. We were forced to clear out of the building and relocate. I am now currently living with my cousin in Port Said. I hope that Egypt’s military are able to stop Israel before they reach Egypt’s major cities.

November 5, 1956

I heard voices yelling from outside. I looked out my cousin’s window and was surprised when I saw hundreds of British soilders parachuting down in Port Said. England must be here for the Canal as well. I fear for the life of my cousin and mine as well. He led me to a small underground bunker that he built under his home. We should be safe down here, I think.


November 6, 1956

It was a hard night in the bunker. Neither my cousin nor I was able to sleep. The loud sounds of gunfire mixed with a twisted feeling of anxiety and fear made it incredibly difficult to rest. After many hours, the guns stopped. I dared to open the bunker door and look outside. When I gazed outside, I didn’t see Port Said, I saw a battle field. Smoke filled the air, bodies lay in the streets and buildings were in ruins.


November 7, 1956

The British Prime minister unexpectedly called the evacuation of all British Soldiers. I am glad that the crisis is over. Though the fighting has come to a stop, this occurrence has put a damper on any hope for Egypt I once had. When will we be able to just live in peace? It seems that the British and Israel will never leave us alone. This is why I have decided to stay in Port Said and quit my job in the SCA. It is too risky for me to keep working there and I do not want to deal with another Suez conflict. I might focus more attention on my education so that I can get a better and less life threatening job.